the one where I discuss tips for your engagement session
Tips for Your Engagement Session
- be yourself. It’s my job to make you feel beautiful and comfortable in front of the camera. I want you to be able to laugh with me, let loose and most of all, truly enjoy your time together. I’ll get all the important glances, touches and looks between the two of you. I want you to relax and simply enjoy each other! If drinking helps in any way, let me know. I own a liquor store. I can bring those cute little airplane bottles.
- choose sexy “I feel beautiful” outfitsYou know the ones. Those jeans that make your butt bang? That pair of booties that makes your legs go on forever? Choose clothes you feel absolutely gorgeous in! Don’t worry about all the rules, simply make sure you feel great when you look in that mirror. Coordinate your colors but don’t be too "matchy". You want to blend. And I know I mentioned not worrying about the rules, but here’s one rule. DON’T WEAR WHITE. It’s a pretty darn bright color and not very many people look great in it. I mean, newborn babies and maybe a bride or two, but it only works for engagement sessions if BOTH are wearing it. So, blending is good, white is bad. I’ve allowed time for 2-3 outfits, so maybe dressy first and work your way to the casual stuff. You know, those faded, sexy blue jeans you don’t mind rolling around on the ground together in? I LOVE those jeans!!! If you have photos of your outfits, please text them to me at 806-789-2673. I’d love to see and it helps me with locations.
- be prepared to interact with each other Yep. I know this should be a no brainer, but I’ve had couples show up and only talk and smile at me. Which is fine for one or two shots, but let’s face it. That’s not what our goal is here. Our goal is to make everyone that sees these pictures want to be you and be in love with you. So, TOUCH EACH OTHER. Look at each other. I want hand holding, cute hugs, sweet caresses and PASSION in your eyes! I’m such a sucker for passion. I want to tell the story of the two of you, so try and act like the camera isn’t even there. Laugh together, kiss, be completely silly. I LOVE that stuff!
- don’t be nervous! Engagement sessions are meant to be more casual, so no pressure. This is a great time for us to get to know each other and you to get used to my camera. Let’s have fun! I will help you with the posing and all that, you just bring the love. Ok? Also, any photos where you look stupid or ugly? I’m deleting those. That’s part of my job as well.
- prepare your partner for what to expect. Maybe message this to them and share how much fun it will be “making out in public”. We all know that sometimes guys just aren’t thrilled about being photographed. But honestly, it won’t hurt, it won’t take too long, and you’ll get kissed and loved on in the process. WIN WIN in my book. And there could be drinks involved. Just saying.
- be on time. Your session is planned for the “golden hour” or “God’s light” as I like to call it. I’ve chosen a time that will allow for most optimal lighting. If you are late, this will cut into our time together and we may end up with fewer images. So, if you’re getting your hair and makeup done, plan accordingly.
- relax Your engagement session should not be a source of stress. If it is, I’m failing miserably and we need to meet at the nearest bar to discuss. Please just be yourself and have fun with it! This is special time in your lives and you need to remember just how kick ass the two of you are together and let me do the rest.
- Most importantly, trust your photographer. Trust me. I’ve got this. I’ve done this before and I love it. I will help direct you if needed, show you off in the best way possible, AND and totally fall in love with the two of you. THAT’S MY JOB. Making beautiful pictures. So, please trust me and remember that I have your best interest at heart. YOU TWO TOGETHER. That’s what this is all about and what’s important. I’m so excited for the two of you!!! Finding someone to truly share your life with is the BEST feeling. I can’t wait to photograph you!!!